Error when saving

Hi friends. A new problem popped up today on one of my Curatescape sites, IslandHistories.com. Some of my partners discovered that when they try to save changes they get a fairly generic error message:

Omeka has encountered an error

To learn how to see more detailed information about this error, see the Omeka Classic User Manual page on retrieving error messages.

This is not happening on my other Curatescape site, SpokaneHistorical.org. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi Larry, this is more of an Omeka issue (as opposed to a Curatescape one). Since the site in question is not hosted on our server, there’s not much we can do to investigate/address the issue. That said, it sounds like a problem with your installation. The first thing I would do is to make sure everything is fully up to date, including Omeka, add-ons, and – to a lesser degree – the theme. After upgrading plugins, log in and make sure to click any “Upgrade” buttons on the plugins page. If none of that helps, you’ll need to follow the instructions for retrieving error messages to get more information.

Thanks, Erin. When I go to Island Histories I see the list of plugins with a choice or “deactivate” or “uninstall” for each plugin but no update button. Some, like the Curatescape Admin Helper plugin also have an option “Configure.” Nothing in the theme seems off or is calling for attention.

I will look into retrieving error messages.

The “upgrade” button on the plugins page appears when the previous/older version has been replaced with a newer version. It’s step two of updating plugins (the first step is replacing the files on the server).

That’s probably a moot point, though, as the issue is likely with your Omeka installation and/or your database. Using whatever method you used to install Omeka, you should update Omeka (if older than 2.8 / March 2021).

If Omeka doesn’t need an update or if that doesn’t fix it, the next step would be to upgrade plugins. If that doesn’t fix it, try uninstalling plugins one at a time to see if that fixes it.

If none of that helps, enable error reporting and send that information to Reclaim for assistance.

Or enable error reporting now and use that information to search the Omeka forum (in the unlikely event that the error message involves any Curatescape plugins, feel free to reply here with details).