Creating a Mastodon button

Hi @ebell. I assume this will be in a future update to the theme, but I’d like to add a Mastodon button to our menu. Is there a line I could add for now and an icon in the same set you currently use etc?

For now I would have to retrofit an older version of the theme, although we’ll be spring cleaning and updating in about six months.

It’s for https://portspastpresent.eu/

Hi @james-smith,

The Curatescape Classic theme uses Font Awesome 4.7.0 for icons. Unfortunately, the Mastodon icon wasn’t added until version 5.x. So you’d need to either find your way through updating the FA library (which might introduce other issues), or see if you can somehow add just that one. Then of course, you’d need to add a new theme option for storing the link/username, as well as modifying the function that displays the social icons. See config.ini and mh_social_array() function.

The newer Curatescape Echo theme uses Ionicons. You could download the mastodon icon SVG file and add it to images/ionicons. Then – again – you would need to add a new theme option for storing the link/username, as well as modifying the function that displays the social icons. See config.ini and rl_social_array() function.

I’m taking a wait and see approach to adding Mastodon as a new option. If I do, it will likely only be for Curatescape Echo, due to the expected complications with updating the Font Awesome library for Curatescape Classic.

It’s not a big deal, but I thought I’d ask.

My personal website uses echo, so I suspect I’ll add it there when available!

An option for Mastodon has been added in the latest release of the Curatescape Echo theme, version 1.4.1.

1 Like

Amazing. I was thinking of doing a full update so I’m glad I waited.