Setting up and configuring Google Analytics

To get started with Google Analytics, sign in to a new or existing account at Analytics Tools & Solutions for Your Business - Google Analytics. Create a new Property for your Curatescape project, choosing the “Website” project type.

Navigate to “Property Settings” to view the Property Tracking ID. This is the alphanumeric string you’ll use to enable analytics in both your website (add to theme settings) and app (if applicable, send to project manager via Basic Information Checklist).

While previous Curatescape app projects used separate Google Analytics Property Tracking IDs for web and mobile, new and updated app projects will use a single Google Analytics Property ID for both web and mobile app usage. This means that by default, all usage data will appear in the main view. This will be fine for those who wish to measure their project’s impact in a more generalized way. However, if you want or need to isolate usage statistics to analyze web-only or mobile-only, you can do so using the views and filters features of Google Analytics.

Create the Mobile View

To get started, navigate to the Admin section for your project. Use the blue “Create View” button to add a new view.

59%20AM

When creating the view, choose the “Mobile” type and give it a name. Since the default view is called “All Website Data,” we’ll call this one “All App Data.”

Create Filters for each View

At this point, you’ll have two views that are more or less the same, so next you’ll need to create filters for each view so that they just show the data you want to see.

Choose the new “All App Data” view and then click on “Filters” and add a new filter. Choose the filter type “Custom,” select the “Exclude” radio button and choose the filter field called “Application?” and set it to “No” to exclude any data that is not from a mobile app. Now only mobile app data will show in your “All App Data” view.

Next you will create a similar filter for your “All Website Data” view. For this one, choose the filter type “Exclude” and again set the “Application?” filed to “Yes.” Now only browser-based data will show in your “All Website Data” view (you will still see mobile web browser stats here).

1 Like

Hi Erin,

Quick question: Have you had experience migrating data from an extant Google Analytics Services SDK to Google Analytics for Firebase? As I’m sure you’ve seen, Google Analytics Services will begin sunsetting in October of 2019. Thank you!

Hi @loganhinderliter, we recommend using the standard Google Analytics web property and creating view filters to differentiate between web and app traffic, as described above. So if your website already has a property ID, that is what you will use for the app going forward. No need to switch to Firebase. There is no way to migrate data between properties, as far as I’m aware.

Alrighty, thank you for the insight. Hope all is well!

Best,

Logan

Once you have created the google analytics account, where to do you copy and paste the tracking code?

Found it!
Admin > Appearance > Themes > Configure Theme > Analytics > Enter Google Analytics Web Property ID (example: UA-1234567-89, you do not copy and past the code as suggested on the google analytics website)

Hi Erin! Just piggybacking on Logan’s question re: Google’s changes re: no longer processing data for the older style of mobile apps reporting. Our project just had a brief note in a local paper (in late November) and when I checked the analytics I was able to see a clear spike in web traffic, but I wasn’t able to see any mobile app traffic data (I’ve set up the filter to differentiate data as per the instructions above). I guess I’m just concerned that the filter will no longer display mobile data post-10/31/19.

I’ve looked into setting up the Analytics via the new mobile+app configuration recommended by Google, but the App Analytics side of things (specifically, to set up data streams for iOS and Android) seems to require adding files to the App file directories.

So I guess I’m just wondering if you think the lack of App analytics is due to user error on my part (in terms of setting up the filters) or if Google’s new approach to analytics may impact access to app data.

Hi @jimmcg, because we render the app in a native “webview” in both iOS and Android, we can actually just use the standard web analytics tracking tools, rather than the more specialized app tracking tools. I’ve verified that your website and app are using the same tracking code, so it’s likely that the data is being collected for both, but your filters are just not configured correctly.

Be sure you’ve created two “views” (e.g. “all website data” and “all app data”). Then for each, create a “filter” (e.g. “exclude application yes” and “exclude application no”). Once you do that, you should be able to switch between “all website data” and “all app data” to see respective usage details. Below are my settings from one of our projects.

:point_down: Exclude app data in the web view :point_down:

:point_down: Exclude non-app data in the app view :point_down:

If this is what you already have, be sure to switch between views. Because mobile app data is filtered out of the web view, it won’t appear there (though mobile web browser usage will).

PS: I think there’s a bug in the Google Analytics website that can cause you to accidentally add/edit a filter for the wrong view. If you’re on the filter settings for one view and then change views, the filter for the previous view will still be displayed. Switch to another section (e.g. content grouping) and then go back to filters to refresh the displayed settings. This may or may not be necessary, but it was happening to me. Giving your filters unique names will help if you’re experiencing this bug.

1 Like

Awesome: thanks so much for this fast and detailed response, @ebell! I’ll redo the filtering but this all seems straightforward. And thanks for clarifying why sticking with the standard analytics is fine!