New Curatescape install not working

Friends: I am trying to create a new Curatescape project, with the goal to building it up enough to then put in for funding for the mobile apps. It is a digital guide to the San Juan Islands in Washington State and my partner is the National Park Service. The URL is sanjuansexplorer.com. I am using Reclaim hosting.

Anyway, after some wrestling around I got everything installed and created my first story. A few problems:

1. When I am creating an item and go to the map tab, the map does not load. I get this error: “Oops! Something went wrong. This page didn’t load Google Maps correctly. See the JavaScript console for technical details.”

2. The video I uploaded seems to display, but images do not, either in jpeg or bmp formats.

3. I added a story and made it public, but the public page of the site says “No items are available. Publish some now.”

Is there a good step-by-step guide somewhere to help? I am sure that these are all a few simple steps that I missed.

1. Make sure you’ve added a valid API key in the geolocation plugin settings. There’s a link on the plugin settings page.

2. Sounds like the path to ImageMagick may be incorrect. Check in Settings page at the bottom. It’s usually something like /usr/bin. Search the Omeka forums and/or Reclaim to find the right setting for your server.

3. Try making the item featured (if it’s not already). That might be a homepage block specifically for featured items. Looks like it appears as expected in the browse page.

I have a similar issue with: www.amhersthistoric.org. You can see that the map function is still calling Google Maps, even though I upgraded the Geolocation plugin to 3.0. How can I fix that?

I looked on Github and am I correct to think that the new Curratescape themes are not loaded there? I am still using version 1.0 of Curatescape.

Thanks!

Hi @jonberndt, it looks like you probably need to just go save your theme settings. The following empty variables are causing the error in the map script.

var featuredStar = ;
var useClusters = ; 
var clusterTours = ; 

Hi Erin,

In the meantime, the nice people at Reclaim Hosting updated my theme to 3.0. I did go and resave the theme settings and the map now seems to appear correctly.

The only problem I see now is that in the upgrade, I seem to have an error displaying the two tours. Tours | Amherst Historic

The two tours show up on the list, but then there is an error when you click on either.

Any thoughts? I checked the tour builder content, and the items are all still there. I currently have Tour Builder 1.3 installed. Do I need to update that? I am guessing this might be the issue.

Here is the error log.

exception ‘InvalidArgumentException’ with message ‘‘postscript_text’ is an invalid special value.’ in /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Record/AbstractRecord.php:351
Stack trace:
#0 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/views/helpers/Metadata.php(169): Omeka_Record_AbstractRecord->getProperty(‘postscript_text’)
#1 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/views/helpers/Metadata.php(144): Omeka_View_Helper_Metadata->_getRecordMetadata(Object(Tour), ‘Postscript Text’)
#2 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/views/helpers/Metadata.php(73): Omeka_View_Helper_Metadata->_getText(Object(Tour), ‘Postscript Text’)
#3 [internal function]: Omeka_View_Helper_Metadata->metadata(‘tour’, ‘Postscript Text’, Array)
#4 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/View/Abstract.php(350): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#5 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/globals.php(2041): Zend_View_Abstract->__call(‘metadata’, Array)
#6 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/globals.php(2041): Omeka_View->metadata(‘tour’, ‘Postscript Text’, Array)
#7 /home/amhersth/public_html/themes/curatescape/tour-builder/tours/show.php(74): metadata(‘tour’, ‘Postscript Text’)
#8 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/View.php(114): include(‘/home/amhersth/…’)
#9 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/View/Abstract.php(888): Omeka_View->_run(‘/home/amhersth/…’)
#10 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action/Helper/ViewRenderer.php(912): Zend_View_Abstract->render(‘tours/show.php’)
#11 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action/Helper/ViewRenderer.php(933): Zend_Controller_Action_Helper_ViewRenderer->renderScript(‘tours/show.php’, NULL)
#12 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action/Helper/ViewRenderer.php(972): Zend_Controller_Action_Helper_ViewRenderer->render()
#13 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action/HelperBroker.php(277): Zend_Controller_Action_Helper_ViewRenderer->postDispatch()
#14 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(527): Zend_Controller_Action_HelperBroker->notifyPostDispatch()
#15 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch(‘showAction’)
#16 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#17 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(105): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#18 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(384): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run()
#19 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(73): Zend_Application->run()
#20 /home/amhersth/public_html/index.php(23): Omeka_Application->run()
#21 {main}

Jon

Yes, it looks like you need to install the latest version of tour builder.
https://github.com/CPHDH/TourBuilder/releases/download/v1.7/TourBuilder.zip

Thanks for all the help! I was able to update the tour plugin and that did take care of the issue. It does seem like I have to add a new field to MySQL for the postscript and am working on that.

I was still having trouble with the admin maps, but figured out that it was in need of the Google Map API. Should be all set now. Thanks!

OK, I’m stuck on the issue of fixing the MySQL error. I wrote to the help desk at Reclaim Hosting and they are willing to help, but wrote:

“It’s possible to edit the database using phpMyAdmin in cPanel, however it’s typically not advised unless you really know what you’re doing. I would make sure you have spoken with the Curatescape folks and have clear directions on what needs to be done before adding or removing anything directly at the database level. Perhaps there is another step to the upgrade process that was missed? I’m happy to help on the Reclaim Hosting side but unsure what would need to be done to get the plugin to work in the account and would rely on details from the developers to assist.”

Here is the error message that I get:

exception ‘Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception’ with message ‘Mysqli prepare error: Unknown column ‘postscript_text’ in ‘field list’’ in /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:77
Stack trace:
#0 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Statement.php(115): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare(‘INSERT INTO om...') #1 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php(388): Zend_Db_Statement->__construct(Object(Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli), 'INSERT INTOom…’)
#2 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(479): Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare(‘INSERT INTO om...') #3 [internal function]: Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('INSERT INTOom…’, Array)
#4 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Db.php(79): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#5 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Db.php(255): Omeka_Db->__call(‘query’, Array)
#6 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Db.php(255): Omeka_Db->query(‘INSERT INTO `om…’, Array)
#7 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Record/AbstractRecord.php(541): Omeka_Db->insert(‘Tour’, Array)
#8 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Controller/AbstractActionController.php(229): Omeka_Record_AbstractRecord->save(false)
#9 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): Omeka_Controller_AbstractActionController->editAction()
#10 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch(‘editAction’)
#11 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#12 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(105): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#13 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(384): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run()
#14 /home/amhersth/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(73): Zend_Application->run()
#15 /home/amhersth/public_html/admin/index.php(28): Omeka_Application->run()
#16 {main}

What exactly should we add to the MySQL database to make this go away?

Thanks!
Jon

Updating the TourBuilder plugin and clicking the Upgrade button in Admin > Plugins should fix the issue, adding the required field. I just checked your site and it appears to be working.